Saturday, February 09, 2008

Details on MINDStyle's Fraggle Figures

As reported earlier, MINDStyle is planning to release a series of Fraggle Rock vinyl figures in celebration of the 25th anniversary of Jim Henson's Fraggle Rock. Everyone at MINDStyle is excited about the project and they have enthusiastically sent me some more detailed information about what consumers, collectors and fans can expect.

MINDStyle plans to unveil the Fraggle Rock anniversary figures at next week's Toy Fair in New York (February 17-20, 2008). Each figure will measure about 3 to 4 inches tall and will come with a special building block. Each of these blocks has different letters of the alphabet on them, so with several figures you'll be able to spell out words or names with the Fraggle blocks. Unlike action figures these collectible figures will be sold blind boxed, not blistered. So there will be a sense of collectorship associated with the series. Also in this way, there will be some unique and secret chase figures released as well.

The initial publicized line-up will include: Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober, Red, Uncle Traveling Matt, The Trash Heap, Sprocket, King Gorg, a Fraggle, and the Doozers.

Dark Horse will be the worldwide distributor for the series, and the figures should be obtainable through most retailers of Dark Horse products. While the exact sales price will vary from vendor to vendor, you should be able to get the figures for under $10.

The Fraggle Rock 25th anniversary collector series is coming, and you'll want to be sure to start collecting these exciting figures as soon as they hit store shelves. I'll be sure to keep you updated with more details, and pictures, as soon as they become available.

5 comments:

frogboy4 said...

I love the idea of these figures. The inclusion of letters spelling out things feels more Sesame than Fraggle to me, but I don't care about that as long as I get these guys!

The blind box marketing shows an unfortunate lack of faith in the product and lack of respect for the customer. There are better methods. These are Fraggle figures, not Pokemon cards. I would gladly pay a higher premium if they offered complete sets directly from the MINDstyle site. Hope they are listening.

I kind of wish it was being offered by another company. I don't like how they've handled the Dark Crystal figures. That is my favorite film and I have wanted figures from it for years, but the expense and style put me off getting them.

It is amazing these are getting made at all.

Vaughn Michael said...

I agree frogboy it's great this is being done it's just a shame it wasn't done by Palisades or some one who makes good figures.
I'm really missing the muppet line to.
I hope these will at least be nice because if not I'll have to pass once again on a line of toys.

Chris Stulz said...

The whole blind box decision leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I HATED having to search for the blind item Muppet block figures released a few years ago and I still haven't found the secret "Beaker" figure except for every once in a while on eBay for way too $$.

I'm sure the eBay sellers that love to mark up collectables like these are pleased by this news, but it's a major slap in the face to the true collectors and fans.

frogboy4 said...

I also think it is unfortunate that these (likely beautiful) Fraggle figures are going to be hidden inside the box. I am considering writing them to ask if there's any way that fans can bypass this headache and purchase an entire set instead of individual characters. Fruitless probably, but it won't hurt to ask.

WozzaFraggle said...

I don't mind the idea of blind boxes. Adds some excitement!

Love the fact that the first Trash Heap merchandise is on its way!

Would have been nice to have all three Gorgs.

I like the idea of a generic Fraggle too, they could replaint them to make a whole army!