Monday, March 16, 2009

Muppet Halloween Buzz

Walt Disney World Passholders were treated to a special Muppet event earlier this month at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando, FL. The special members-only event featured appearances by Craig Shemin (Muppet historian), Dave Goelz (puppeteer), Heather Henson (daughter of Jim Henson), and the Great Gonzo (Muppet artiste).

During a brief question and answer session with the panelists, it was revealed that the Muppets may return to television later this year in a brand-new Halloween themed television special. I've since gotten confirmation from Disney’s Muppets Studio that there are serious discussions going on regarding a Muppet Halloween special for later this year. While nothing is officially set in stone, it is very possible that fans will be able to see Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Miss Piggy and the gang in a spooky and haunting special this fall. I will be sure to keep you updated as soon as details are confirmed and more information on this potential project becomes available.

In other Halloween related news, Disney has also made it known that they are working on a line of Halloween costumes based on the Muppets. So this Halloween fans should be able to dress up as their favorite characters with the help of a series of official Muppet costumes. Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, and Swedish Chef costumes (in both kid and adult sizes) are reportedly being planned for release later this year. Again, I'll keep you updated as more information becomes available.

So while Halloween may be over 7-months away, there may be some new and exciting Muppet items to celebrate this fall; I'll keep you posted.

7 comments:

frogboy4 said...

I am thrilled. It's about time the Muppets have some glossy seasonal specials like the Peanuts gang. I love the Muppets' relationship with Christmastime, but it's time for them to move on to Halloween, Valentines and heck, maybe even an "Oh Leprechaun Brothers Where Art Thou" St. Patty's Day special.

As for the costumes, it is a great idea. I hope they include Beaker and Animal. Always crowd-pleasers.

Anonymous said...

If there's an adult-size Fozzie costume, I totally know what I'm wearing this year.

Vaughn Michael said...

I sure hope this is better than the last christmas special they did.
I'm sure allot of people enjoyed it and while it wasn't the worst thing they've done in recent years I find it to be a bit lackluster and would have much rather watched the web content that they had done before the movie hit tv.

But halloween is a long overdue special that the Muppets have needed to do, I def. can see allot of merch being made for such a special and places like hot topic and spencers jumping all over it.

1001001 said...

They -have- made a valentines day special before. I dont think it's been aired in over ten or fifteen years, but I remember watching it as a kid on Nickelodeon.....

Chase said...

This is exciting! I am happy that our beloved Muppets our doing something for halloween! They sometimes did spooky things on The Muppet Show. oh, and I am totally going as Fozzie Bear this year. or Gonzo. or Kermit. or Swedish Chef. or Piggy. glad I have 7 months to decide!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I cannot wait! Halloween will be even more exciting. They definitely need to include beaker. Cross your fingers that they do it right! Muppet's Take Manhattan style!

Anonymous said...

I have to say, this year's costumes are more of a challenge than exciting. The Miss piggy wig is really low-quality, compared to the one that came out a few years ago! (I lost mine in a move, so I had to get a new one.) I ended up taking the ears off and sewing them onto a headband, then adding them to a nicer blonde wig.

Finding the Kermit costume ANYWHERE, unless you succumb to the Price gougers, has been really hard. I keep ordering and getting refunded, based on Manufacturer shortages. Has anyone else had this problem? We're going to Disney for Halloween, and I can't find a standard sized kermit for my husband at all. Such a shame.