Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Muppet Whatnot Workshop Comes to FAO Schwartz

FAO Schwartz has partnered with Muppet Studios to provide a unique Muppet experience at their New York store! FAO Schwarz will soon open the doors to The Muppet Whatnot Workshop at its legendary flagship store on Fifth Avenue in New York. The workshop experience, similar to that of the popular Build-a-Bear franchise, will allow customers to create their very own Muppet Whatnot. Customers will be able to pick a body from various styles; then accessorize it with a huge variety of Muppet parts, accessories and apparel.

For the first time ever, fans will be able to create and take home their very own custom Muppet Whatnot. Whatnots, the long-customary faction of generic extras seen in Muppet productions, are highly customizable creatures with a huge catalog of unique features and accessories. These premium puppets (retailing at around $100) will be classic hand-rod puppets, just like the real Whatnots, in which one hand goes inside the head of the puppet while the other manipulates rods connected to the puppet’s arms. In addition to the in-store experience, creations in the line are also planned to eventually be available via FAO Schwarz’s official website (www.fao.com).

FAO Schwarz is working hard to bring this unique Muppet experience to consumers, and I’ve been told that they plan to raise the curtain on The Muppet Whatnot Workshop this fall (possibly as early as late-October 2008). I will be sure to keep you updated on this exciting new boutique as soon as more details are confirmed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally want one! Where is this, New York? That's worth a drive.

alexlady said...

EEEEEeeeEE!! How exciting!! oh man, i hope they go whole hog with this... if they can put a whole barbie dreamhouse into the toys r us in times square, maybe there's room at FAO for a Happiness Hotel...

i am so stoked.

www.alexladydesigns.etsy.com

Anonymous said...

It officially opens tomorrow but had a soft opening today (and yes, I gave in and made me a new friend).

You can see more details at http://www.stitchkingdom.com/exclusive/muppetwhatnot

Unknown said...

WOW!!! I have always wanted to be a Muppet!!!!

Jane :-) said...

A great friend who used to live in NY until recently, made me a Whatnot several months ago and sent it to me as a surprise gift earlier this year.

My Whatnot looks like a has-been nightclub singer from the 70's and I've named her 'Ruby'. I just lover her!

Ruby is admired by all and sits proudly in my home office in Australia.

Hope you all get the opportunity to make, or receive your very own Whatnot, as they are indeed priceless!!

I hope to order one on-line for my nephew's first birthday later this year.