Sunday, September 03, 2006

This Old Street

As I announced earlier, a DVD set of classic Sesame is on its way this fall. As the release approaches, more information has surfaced. Sesame Workshop plans to release "Sesame Street: Old School - Volume 1", a nostalgic-based collector's box set, on October 24, 2006. The three-disc DVD box set is full of classic Sesame Street, focusing exclusively on the first five years (1969-1974).

The DVD set will include five complete hour-long episodes from the series. In addition to that there are over 2-hours of bonus segments (45+ segments). These segments including The original pilot pitch for the show (available for the first time anywhere); appearances by James Earl Jones, Jesse Jackson, Johnny Cash, and Jackie Robinson; the classic songs "Rubber Duckie", "I Love Trash" and "C Is for Cookie"; and such original animation clips as "The King of Eight", "Ladybug Picnic", "The Alligator King" and "Pinball Number Count".

The total running time for the three-disc set is over 7-hours in total.

The DVD is being distributed by Sony/Wonder and is already up for pre-ordering on many sites (such as Amazon.com) for just around $30. The set is being dubbed "Volume 1" so hopefully more "Old School" sets will follow (however none have been announced or confirmed yet). I'll keep you posted as more develops on the DVD revisiting of the world's most famous street.
Nostalgic

7 comments:

Jason Stockl said...

This is my absolute dream come true!

They're tapping into a (very nostalgic) generation that grew up with Sesame street.

I can't wait for the release, and the (hopefully) subsequent volumes to come!

Terrence said...

I can't wait!

I am glad that SW has finally listened to the fans, and released classic Sesame on DVD.

Anonymous said...

TVshowsonDVD.com just released more info about the set...includeing news that the PILOT is included!!!

Chek out all the details here: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6386

B said...

Here you said the DVD would include the "pilot pitch" and Muppet Central says the "pilot". I think I read that there is a difference between the two. Do you know which one is actually on the DVD?

Kirsten said...

Fantastic!!

Can't wait to see it, and see what they have in store for suture volumes!

Kirsten said...

Gah, typos. That's what I get for not previewing. :P

Anonymous said...

I've just finished watching the entire thing and I ADORE it!!! A total retro and nostalgia junkie, I am in Jim Henson heaven!

Makes me realize just how much Sesame Street has changed over the years.

And, how much I hate Elmo...